Friday, May 15, 2009

God Sustains.

In the four days since I've been here (five, six? How long HAVE I been here?) I've taken to a new Diet Dr. Pepper addiction (mostly because regular Diet Coke is non-existent) and to only saying ya'll when picking up job applications. I find that I don't look as much like an outsider when I do that.

Ben's been working a lot since we've arrived, although he does have tomorrow off. We're going to try and register at one of our places, though we aren't sure which one yet. I really feel like a Californian  here. I never really thought of myself as a Californian, but I definitely stick out. I drive extra slow on the freeway to keep ambitious Rangers from pulling me over. And although I grew up in 110 degree heat, I have been thoroughly educated in the ways of humidity over these past few days. Sweet Jesus, what point could it have. I can deal with Palm Springs heat, but sweet lord, Texas heat is totally different. I feel like I'm wandering through a moist hell, wondering why I bothered to do my hair. I'll probably end up wearing it curly through the summer then see where winter leaves me. 

A grant job might be in the works, and in the meantime I've applied to Half-Price Books (my personal heaven), Starbucks (job fair on Monday), and I tried to apply to Barnes and Noble. It might not happen seeing as how the woman there could barely hold all of the applications they've received in both arms, while looking for a blank one, which she did not find by the way.

With all of my bitching, there is one thing I do know for sure: I am a resilient person. Even in my most depressed moments out here, I know that I'm strong enough for this, and even though it doesn't feel anything like home right now, it will soon. 
Paula and I at Convocation. RIP Von Zipper Sunglasses =(
Saying bye to the Phister
The colors I'm attempting to paint the living room. You can see what color it is if you look at the top of the wall and see where I couldn't reach. Compare it to the lonely beige at the top. My "Sea Foam" is a much better color, even though we don't live within 8 hours of a sea.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that does it! I guess I couldn't ever live in Texas (not that I was planning on it) if they don't have Diet Coke! I must have my one DC a day! No, I'm not addicted--just a very big fan!
    I am also definitely not a fan of humidity. Took Jessica to start college in Virginia in August, and almost died of that oppressive nasty wetness! Not fun. They say, though, that you get used to it. Let us know, 'kay?!

    ReplyDelete